The Spa

The Dolder Grand has a long spa tradition — it originally opened in 1899 as hotel and kurhaus (“cure house”), the traditional health spa of 19th Century Europe. After the hotel’s 4 year restoration, the new 4,000 sqm / 13,123 sqft spa is now situated over two lower levels in the new wing of the hotel, designed by Norman Foster.

Reimagining fully the use and distribution of the spaces, a winding stone canyon leads from a domed meditation space, frames the black swimming pool and follows on to form the walls of the spa wing, creating a dramatic yet serene space. The resulting design is a celebration of volume, light and local black stone Dietfurter Gala.

Urs E. Schwarzenbach
Foster + Partners
4,000 sqm / 13,123 sqf